chocolate anyone?

chocolate play dough that is {grin}


our family loves play dough
especially play dough that smells like chocolate

or lemon
or cinnamon


{Play dough recipe}

½ cup of flour {+ optional powder}
½ cup of boiling water {colored with optional juice}
¼ cup of salt
½ tbsp cream of tartar
½ tbsp cooking oil

{brown} 1 Tablespoon of cocoa

{light yellow} 1/2 teaspoon turmeric

{bright yellow} 1 teaspoon of turmeric with a splash of lemon juice

{red} turmeric plus baking soda

{pink} beet powder or beet juice

{purple} blueberry juice

{green} spinach juice

{orange} carrot juice

{tan} 1 Tablespoon cinnamon

for a little more fun you can add in essential oils too!

Store in an sealed jar. Some last longer than others. I've found that the fruit & veggie juice don't last as long as the cocoa and turmeric. At the rate we use play dough though... it's not a big deal {grin}

Have fun and let me know if you come up with any other color suggestions, there are so many possibilities, you just have to discover them!



Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

  1. I make playdough all of the time with my cousins and I NEVER thought to add any kind of "smelly" stuff to it! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kellibwilson5/4/11, 10:00 AM

    I hate the way regular play dough smells...even the homemade kind, but I think I would be okay with chocolate or lemon scented:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can also mix in a pack of dry flavored kool-aid for all sorts of smelling good flavors

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a great recipe for gingerbread playdough...smells awesome and is so fun in the fall.
    2 C all purpose flour
    1 C salt
    1 T ground cloves
    1 T allspice
    1 T ground ginger
    1 T cinnamon
    2 T veggie oil
    1 C water
    Mix all ingredients and knead until smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. brittanyclaire5/4/11, 11:27 AM

    oh yum! We'll have to add that to our recipes. Thanks for sharing! {Grin}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, this is such a great idea~ I'm going to try it TODAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was just marveling over how play dough has saved my life the last few days. homeschooling with toddlers underfoot can sometimes be like running a three ringed circus, as im sure you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this...thanks for sharing, I have been on the hunt for some "yummy" PlayDoh recipes for us also! This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sara Erickson5/4/11, 5:04 PM

    Sounds cool!! Ally and I will have to try it! ;) Hope you're enjoying your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fun stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh man... this is so tempting to start with my boys... but they may or may not 1) eat it. 2) stick it up their noses 3) stick it on everything that it sticks to. But I may try anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a perfect post! I was just lamenting the fact that I had to throw out six things of dried Play-Doh today and wondering if I could find a natural dye-free recipe to make our own Play Dough. Thank you! I can’t wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. brittanyclaire5/4/11, 11:38 PM

    did the recipe come out all in one paragraph for everyone? It didn't look like that in my draft. Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for blessing me with your words!

Brittany