Coconut Curry Red Lentil Soup


1 cup yellow split peas
1 cup red split lentils (masoor dal)
7 cups water
2 carrots diced
2 tablespoons fresh peeled and minced ginger
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 tablespoons coconut oil
8 green onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
2 teaspoons real sea salt
one small handful cilantro, chopped

the night before rinse your 2 cups of split peas and lentils
add to a pot and cover with 8 cups of water
soak until mid afternoon the following day
rinse your soaked peas and lentils and put back in the pot
when you're ready to start dinner...
sauté onions and ginger in 1-2 T. of coconut oil
add everything together in a large pot
bring to boil
and simmer until tender
top with chopped cilantro!

***if you do not soak your legumes, nuts, seeds or grains you can skip the soaking and just prepare with dried lentils and split peas.
Soaking releases the phytic acid and makes them more beneficial and easier to digest.

Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I'm making this soup now... do ever puree the soup after cooking, or just leave the lentils whole? I haven't cooked with these type of lentils before, so it's kind of an experiment for me, but it smells delicious! I'm in MN and have cilantro growing indoors in a pot from the seed left from my garden. It brightens up the house and the food :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Great article, I already saved it to my favourite,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for blessing me with your words!

Brittany